Saturday, November 1, 2014

Brave New World Journal #3


I found the section on the “Savage Reservation” very dark and disturbing. I think the author wrote this section to be dark on purpose because we’re seeing them from Bernard and Lenina’s perspective. The most disturbing part of the whole section, for me, was the scene with the ritual dancing and the whipping of the boy. Lenina kept sobbing “Too awful… too awful! That blood” (116). The way the author described it was almost chaotic and hypnotic at the same time. As readers, we are experiencing it as the two “society” members would but for us, we have an advantage of knowing that the ritual is a normal thing for this culture. As for Linda, I think that the “society” has brainwashed her so much that even if she spent her entire life there, her entire being resists that culture because that is the way she is designed.
I also agree with you about the Soma drug. The fact that it is so readily available concerns me but I believe they use it so much because they do not have the willpower to handle anything uncomfortable. Their brains are designed for them so I think that is why they are so weak. The lessons that we learn as children about handling difficulties and moving through the awkwardness of life are not taught to them and the only way they handle those moments is through drugs. When Linda returns to the “social” world, she cannot even join everyone else because of her need for the drug. The long withdrawal from the drug was so traumatic and when she actually gets the drug, “the holiday it gave was perfect” (154).  Her need for it shows the control that the government has over their people.
The fact that Bernard and Lenina brought back John really surprised me. Because he was from a different culture, I figured that the government would never ever allow something like this to change their perfect society! I also found it interesting because everyone else wants to me the “savage”. Barnard became popular and “only had to hint at the possibility of an invitation, and he could have whichever of them he liked” (156). I thought people wanted to be the same and to blend in with society. Because Bernard was different, everyone did not like him. Why do you think everyone wants to be associated with him now that he brought back the “savage”? Also, what do you think John thinks about this new life?

No comments:

Post a Comment